Tuesday, July 14, 2009

crossed the deserts bare, man

Day 2: Texas -

I woke up to the sound of pouring rain and a feeling of great trepidation. This was it. The 15 hour day. The goal was to wake up in New Orleans, LA, and fall asleep in Carlsbad, NM. Between us and our goal lay... Texas. All of it.

But laying there feeling stressed wasn't making the miles go away, so I made myself get out of bed, woke a surprisingly cheerful engineer, and drove away into the rainy New Orleans morning.



First things first. The original plan had been to stay two days in New Orleans, so that I could show my engineer around the Decatur Street area as well as the Bourbon Street half of the French Quarter. I tried to make up for the necessary change in plans by slowly driving down Decatur Street pointing in the rain to the aquarium, the water front, and Cafe Du Monde... But wait! The lights were on at Cafe du Monde!



I parked like a maniac, laughing with glee, and told engineer-boy that he was in for the breakfast of a lifetime. We didn't have time to sit and enjoy the ambiance (besides, it was already 95 with 110% humidity), so I told him to look around while I waited for our beignets and cafe au lait -- to go.

Not even 30 minutes behind schedule, we were sitting in traffic on the I-10, with sticky faces and a feeling of great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment