Saturday, August 1, 2009

the greatest thing since bread came sliced

Today I want to share a recipe with you that is near and dear to my heart.

In my family, on your birthday, you get to choose any meal you want for dinner. And since the time I was first able to talk, I've been choosing my mom's macaroni and cheese. Oh sure, there have been deviations from time to time, when I wanted to seem more grown up. But this meal is still my ultimate go-to, happy, comfort food.




It's not even particularly complicated. You'll need some milk, your favorite kind of pasta (I love campanelle for this. It looks like little trumpets!), butter, Wondra (or other super-fine flour), and cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.

Begin by boiling the pasta.




After 7-8 minutes, begin to check the pasta regularly until it's as done as you like. Use a silly-face slotted spoon. (Courtesy of my awesome baby sister.)



I like my pasta slightly al dente, not smushy at all.




When you're happy with the pasta, drain and rinse (I know, I know, this isn't recommended anymore, but it won't be my mom's macaroni and cheese if you don't. Trust me.) and set aside. It should be relatively cool and very sticky by the time you're done making the sauce.




Heat two cups of milk in a large saucepan over low heat and carefully whisk in 4 tbs. of Wondra. No lumps, people!




Once the flour is fully incorporated, turn up the heat and allow the milk to begin to thicken. Once it's slightly thick, add 4 tbs. butter. Allow the sauce to boil for 2-3 minutes, remove from the heat, and pretend there's a picture of me dumping in 12 oz. of shredded chedder. The sharper the chedder is, the better the sauce will be. Mix in the cheese thoroughly, allowing it to melt.




Once the cheese is thoroughly incorporated, slowly add the cooled pasta into the pot of sauce and stir. (I know, my mise en place has orange cheese, and here I clearly was a dork and forgot and used white. Forgive me?)




Allow the macaroni and cheese to cool slightly (it will thicken as it cools, which is what you're waiting for) and serve with plenty of fresh ground pepper.

And applesauce.




Really cold, unsweetened applesauce.

Trust me. I would never steer you wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment