Saturday, November 13, 2010

i got the magic in me

This recipe is as much for my benefit as it is for yours.

One evening, some months ago, Laura and I had some visitors over for poached eggs. (One of our guests turned out to be a singing pirate, which is a story for another time.) Over the course of the evening a largish quantity of alcohol was consumed and at some point it was decided that cookies were in order.

Somewhat inebriated, I came up with some of the most delicious cookies I have ever eaten. And every time I have made them since, they have been scarfed at high speed. In fact, I recently took them to my departmental barbeque, where the plate was licked clean before any other food even made it onto the grill.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Drunk Cookies".




Beat 2 sticks softened butter with 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar and 3 tsp vanilla until fluffy. Mix in 2 eggs.

Slowly add in 2 cups oatmeal, 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, a healthy shake (or two) of cinnamon, a pinch of cloves, and a dash of nutmeg.

Once combined, add 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, and 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Place rounded tablespoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees until the bottoms are beginning to brown. Then broil until the tops are as dark as you want them. (The beauty of finishing them under the broiler is that you can get your crunchy/chewy outside without sacrificing the soft inside. Truly a revelation.)

Eat hot with cold milk.

Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment